Stay in touch with NIHO!

How can I get services to my property?

Many of the properties that Niho offers lies well beyond where traditional services can offer their services, and you should keep this in mind when deciding what type of property you wish to purchase.

If you are looking at living on your property, you will need to consider water, power, sewer, phone, and cable.

Sewer and Municipal Water services are offered through municipal governments, and they usually do not offer services beyond their boundaries.

BC Hydro can extend power to your property. What you will need to know is the location of the last power pole to your property, as well as the tag number for that pole (found on the pole), and how far this pole is from your property. Armed with this information, you can contact BC Hydro at 1-800-224-9376, and they will direct you to the BC Hydro office closest to your property, who will then be able to provide you with a cost.  Keep in mind that the further away from the pole that your property is, the more expensive it will become. However, if you build your residence on that property within a year, BC Hydro will provide you with a rebate of a portion of that fee.

Where there are power lines, there are usually phone lines. Please contact Telus for more information.

You may also wish to look into satellite phones. Globalstar Canada offers satellite phone services for areas where cellular phone service is limited or non-existant, and fixed phones for areas not fully serviced by existing telecommunications systems.  Visit Globalstar's website for more information.

Do you have any other questions related to services? Click here to contact a NIHO Land specialist for more answers.