North 1/2, District Lot 1712, Land District 6
The property has approx. 3,000 feet of semi-frontage on the Nass River. There is a small island in front of this property, which means the river frontage is the water between the island and the river. The property is located in several benches adjacent to the Nass River. Just north of this property, along the river, is the old schoolhouse and a number of buildings that date back to the early 1900’s.
The property is adjacent to the Nass River, 3.2 km (two miles) north of New Aiyansh, which is north of Terrace in west central British Columbia. Terrace is 581 km (361 miles) west of Prince George, on Highway #16.
From Terrace, go north approximately 100 km (60 miles) to New Aiyansh. Just past the R.C.M.P. Station, which is on the left, there is a road turning left; head down this road for about 1-2 km. (.6 – 1.2 miles); the road then turns left into a farmyard; from here you have to park your vehicle and walk along a trail, due west to the property.
Deer and moose live throughout this area. The Nass River has excellent fishing and offers a variety of species, including chinook, coho, rainbow trout, cutthroat, Dolly Varden and steelhead. Recreational amenities at Terrace include a civic centre (with ice arena), an aquatic centre, a 9 hole Golf and Country Club, a bowling alley, a curling rink, soccer fields and tennis courts. Parks and hiking trails abound in this area. One mile from the property is the Nisga’a Memorial Lava Bed Park (Tseax Lava Beds) near New Aiyansh, with lava flows that were formed within the last 200-300 years by the Aiyansh Volcano. Hikers can climb around the lava flows and view interesting lava formations.
The surrounding area to the south consists mostly of residential homes on fairly large acreages. The people who live here work in the local community. There are no residents to the north but one person who bought two 160 acres parcels to the north last year is planning to build a home, clear the land, and grow winter grapes. The small community of New Aiyansh has some facilities including a general store and a gas station. Nass camp offers lodging, a restaurant and a pub. Terrace is the closest city to the Nass Valley with resorts, motels, restaurants, hospital and transportation facilities. It is a “hub” city at the crossroads of the Yellowhead and the north-south route between the Nass and Kitimat.
Terrace is the “cedar pole capital of the world”. Poles for telephone and hydro wires are made here and shipped across North America. Terrace was incorporated in 1927, though settlement in the area began before the turn of the century. The most significant historical personality of the area is “founding father of Terrace”, George Little. Little was, at various times, general store operator, postmaster, railway foreman, financier and sawmill proprietor. The rail stop was called “Littleton” as George Little had donated the land for the station (and most of the land used to develop the city). Because another Littleton (in New Brunswick) already existed on the records at Canada Post, Postmaster Little changed the name of his community to Terrace after the Skeena Benchlands which are terraced from the Skeena River to the townsite. Terrace expanded during World War II as an armed forces base. An armored train traveled along the C.N.R. from Prince Rupert to Terrace every 24 hours in the later years of the war in preparation for defense of the Pacific. After the war, Columbia Cellulose started up it’s northern operations here in 1951, taking over the abandoned army camps.
Approximately 12 acres of this property are heavily timbered with mature pine and hemlock that could provide materials for a home and an income for a small scale harvester. The balance of the property consists of cottonwood flats and open meadows.
No zoning. In Agricultural Land Reserve (no subdivisions)
Boundaries: Surveyed by J.F. Nicoll March 7, 1912.