120 Acres (48.5 Hectares)
District Lot 4290, Land District 14 PID: 015-230-821
There is approx. 5,780 feet of waterfront on the Bulkley River, which flows through the entire length of the property from the southwest corner to the northwest corner. The Bulkley River starts about 6 miles (9.6 km.) south of the property on Bulkley Lake. This property is an old homestead and there are the remains of an old building on the riverbank, and large fields and meadows along both sides of the river. Timber was harvested from approximately 40 acres of the property in the early eighties and the balance remains in its natural state, including a stand of large diameter pine and spruce on the northwest and southwest corners. There is enough timber to build a home and barn. Large numbers of moose browse among the willows along the river. The surrounding area consists mostly of small, but a few larger, cattle ranches; there is a good size cattle ranch just north of the property that runs a cow/calf operation.
Approximately 24 miles (38.6 kilometres) west of Burns Lake near the old railway station town of Forestdale, between Houston and Burns Lake in central British Columbia.
Access is limited to cross country hiking only, through public crown land from the west.
Fishing in the Bulkley River, in front of the property, is closed year round; this area is prime spawning and rearing habitat and conservation policies are critical to the health of the fishery. The surrounding area called the Lakes District contains more than 300 fishing lakes, home to all types of fish include steelhead, rainbow trout, lake trout, kokanee, cutthroat trout and dolly varden, just to name a few. Day Lake, just a few miles north of the property, offers good rainbow trout fishing. For up to date information check the current B.C. fishing regulations. Other recreational pursuits include sailing, swimming, water skiing, canoeing and kayaking, hiking, hunting, boating, rock-hounding, fossil hunting and bird-watching.
Burns Lake is the nearest community with a population of 2,000 in the village and a total of 8,000 residents in the Lakes District. The first thing that strikes you when you enter this town is the welcoming sign with enormous chainsaw-carved trout and the inscription “Three Thousand Miles of Fishing”. Forestry, ranching and tourism are the main industries here, with hay crops and beef being the major farm products. The Lakes District is noted for sunny skies and moderate rainfall of less than 20 inches per year. This area is known for clean air, friendly people, inviting lakes, wandering country roads, abundant wildlife, and the spectacular beauty of Tweedsmuir Provincial Park.
A settler by the name of Bill Mitchell bought land at South Bulkey (as it was called then) and opened a store. The railroad came through in 1890 and built a station on Mitchell’s property. They named it Forestdale after the terrain of hills and tall timber and well-watered meadows and fields in the foreground. Homesteaders followed the railway and settled in Forestdale to farm and work on the railroad. In 1920 the families of Forestdale co-operated to build a church which would also be used as a school. Al Sturgeon became postmaster in 1917. At his retirement in 1959 at the age of 88, he was B.C.’s oldest postmaster. The settlement had a dancehall and people would come from other towns along the track to dance.
Zoned Ag 1, Agricultural, in the Agricultural Land Reserve
Boundaries: J.M. Milligan, British Columbia Land Surveyor, July 1912, surveyed the boundaries.