PRINCE GEORGE 7B
58.33 Acres (23.61 Hectares)
W 1/2, NE 1/4 District Lot 2684, exc. Plan B6187 and R/W 5537, Cariboo Land District.
The property has approximately 1/4 mile of frontage on the main paved road. An access road turns off this road onto the property and goes to a nice, level building site overlooking some homes in Aleza Lake. Two small creeks join into one, on the property near the southwest corner. The creek then flows north along the west boundary and then west of the property. The elevation rises in a north/south direction to the creek, giving a great view of the surrounding area and the snow-capped McGregor Mountains in the distance. A power line goes through the back of the property. Across the road are two lakes, Aleza Lake and Hansard Lake; the Fraser River is approximately 5 miles (8 km) north and the Bowron River approximately 5 miles south. Most of the surrounding area consists of small cow/calf hobby farms and some horse ranches.
This property is located at the community of Aleza Lake, approximately 41 miles (66 km) east of Prince George on the main highway.
From Prince George head east on the Yellowhead/Jasper Highway and turn left (north) onto the Giscombe/Willow River Road, and from the town of Willow River it is approximately 19.5 miles (31.5 km) to the small community of Aleza Lake and 20.3 miles (32.7 km) to the property. The property is adjacent to the small community of Aleza Lake, on the east side, which has a population of approximately 100. There is a road onto the property from the main highway, just past the last house on the right-hand side in Aleza Lake.
The area is known for its moose habitat and some deer. Fishing in both Aleza Lake and Hansard Lake is good – there is rainbow trout and lake char, and, depending on the season, sturgeon. A 90lb sturgeon is reported to have been caught in Hansard Lake. The surrounding lakes and streams offer good trout fishing. The Fraser River, which flows to Vancouver, is three miles (4.8 km) north of the property. There are numerous roads throughout the area, some ending in the mountains.
Power and phone on the main highway.
Giscome is named after John Robert Giscome who, with Harry McDame, in 1863, during a prospecting expedition to the Peace River country, became the first non-Indians to use the Giscome Portage route from the Fraser River to Summit Lake. Prince George. Originally Fort George. This fort was founded by Simon Fraser of the North West Company in 1807 and named after King George 111, the reigning sovereign. The Carrier Indian name for this point at the junction of the Nechako and Fraser Rivers was “Thle-et-leh” meaning “the confluence”. The history of the Prince George area focuses on its two rivers. Trappers and explorers used the rivers as transportation routes into the northern reaches of the province. When they discovered that the region was rich in wolf, fox, lynx, mink, wolverine, otter, and muskrat furs, forts and trading posts were quickly established by rivers and lakes so that furs could be sent out and supplies could be brought in. In 1821 the two major fur-trading companies, North West and Hudson’s Bay, amalgamated and Fort George was operated as a Hudson’s Bay Company post until 1915. At this time the first civic elections were held and Prince George was chosen over Fort George for the name of the new city. In 1920 there was a real estate boom in expectation of the coming of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (now part of the Canadian National Railways). By 1951 Prince George was connected with Dawson Creek and the Alaska Highway and in 1958 the Pacific Great Eastern Railway reached town. Hundreds of sawmills started cutting local timber, and Prince George became the self-proclaimed “Spruce Capital of the World”. The Yellowhead Highway connected the city to Edmonton in 1968, three pulp mills opened and all sorts of businesses flooded in. Since then the population has increased at a rapid rate to become the third largest city in British Columbia.
The south side of the creek (approximately five acres) is a natural forest of spruce and balsam. The softwood timber on the north side of the property was harvested some years ago, but there is poplar and birch remaining throughout the property.
RU1. In ALR.
Dec 13, 2015