District Lot 4325, except Parcel A Plan 1852, and except R/W Plan 7905, Cassiar Land District
This spectacular 21 acre property has approximately 700 feet of water frontage on Takla Lake. The property is one of choicest properties on the entire lake with a beautiful sandy, small pebble beach. It has a southwestern exposure with the property rising gently from the beach back to a level beach towards the back. A freshwater creek runs into the lake from the centre of the property. There is a small abandoned log house of no value that sits amongst the trees beside the creek. It is believed this property was one of the first Forestry Ranger Stations in this entire area and access was by riverboats from Prince George. The view from this property is breathtaking with rugged snowcapped mountains in the background. This is one of the very few deeded properties on Takla Lake. The lakeside portion of the property could be sub-divided into smaller lots.
This beautiful property is located on the east shore of Takla Lake, about ¾ mile (1.2 km) north of Maclaing Creek. This property is 165 km (103 miles) north of Fort St. James and 30 km (19 miles) south of the Driftwood River in central British Columbia. Fort St. James is 62 km (39 miles) north of Vanderhoof, which is the geographical centre of British Columbia.
From Prince George which is 786 km (488 miles) northeast of Vancouver follow Highway 16 west for 97 km (60 miles) to Vanderhoof then take Highway 27 north for 62 km (39 miles) to Fort St. James. From Fort St. James head north along the east side of Stuart Lake on the Tachie Lake Road until you come to the Leo Creek Forest Service Road turn right and go for 68 km (42 miles). Continue north on the Driftwood Forest Service Road just past the 54 km marker you will see a junction stay to the left heading northwest and this will take you to Takla Landing. In Takla Landing there is a small road running beside the B.C. Rail railroad bed (operates seasonally) turn left (south) and follow the road for approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) to the property. This road runs through the centre of the property.
Takla Lake is the place for avid fishermen and is known for its wild rainbow, lake trout, burbot and white fish, a delicacy. Takla Lake is approximately 54 miles (87 km) long and is a large y-shaped lake, over 1000 feet deep. It is known as the lake where the rainbow trout are the size of salmon; the air pristine and the lake clear and clean. From Stuart Lake a person can travel up the Tachie River to Trembleur Lake, up the Middle River to Takla Lake, to the Driftwood River, an unspoiled waterway of some 175 miles (281 kilometres). The Stuart/Trembleur/Takla chain of lakes is one of the most beautiful and exciting in British Columbia and is home to some of the best sport fishing in British Columbia. For hunters, the area is home to grizzly, black bear, moose and mountain goat.
None. It is believed that power and phone are within 1 mile of the property.
Immediately to the south of the property is an old lodge on the edge of the lake with a number of small log cabins surrounding it. This lodge was a popular hunting and fishing lodge, which was quite famous in the area but has not been used for some years. There is a very popular fishing lodge called Takla Rainbow Lodge & Pub Resort further south from this property which has cottages, chalets, house boats, campsites, airstrip and many other facilities.
Thirty miles north of the property is the start of Driftwood River, which flows from the north to the south into Takla Lake and is known world wide for its fly-fishing and casting for rainbow trout.
Fort St. James located on the east shore of Stuart Lake has a population of approximately 1,976 residents in the main trading area. The town has five motels, two “bed-and-breakfasts”, a small shopping mall, two grocery supermarkets, a post office, banks, a drug store, a hospital and a golf course.
Fort St. James was founded by Simon Fraser in 1806 and was referred to as the Stuart Lake post until 1822 when it became Fort St. James. It was the chief fur-trading post and capital of the large and prosperous district of New Caledonia, and in 1821 the fort became a Hudson’s Bay Company post. Today, five of the original buildings survive (including a storehouse and salmon cache) and the fort has been painstakingly restored by the National and Historic Parks Branch as well as by numerous volunteers.
The Indian name for the site, “Na-‘Kra’ztli” means “arrows floating by” and refers to a legendary battle with dwarfs, which left the Stuart River full of arrows where it leaves the lake.
The front portion of the property is covered in large poplar and aspen, with some scattered spruce and pine. The back portion is covered mostly in fairly large pine and spruce. These trees could be harvested for a return on invested capital or could used for building a log home.
Boundaries: Surveyed by V. Schjelderup in July, 1926